Project Semakau --- Save it while you can!
Just returned from an overnight trip at pulau semakau. It's amazing what you can find there. I never knew there were sooo many different forms of marine life in singapore waters. Just looking for them is so tough, let alone ID-ing everything. Gosh. I survived this trip! Yay. Haha. I learnt many new things on this trip and got to know the juniors (Kimberly, Sofina, and Ada). It was really a fun-filled and new experience, something I know I won't get to do in the near future. Not until july at least.
This time round, we had a hunting-seeking trip, but the groupings were done differently. Everyone was spilt into pairs and each pair was given a whole stretch to do their hunting seeking and ID-ing. Ah ning and I did it tgt. After walking on the endless road and through the mosquito infested forest, we came out into the intertidal area and headed to the far left side, where we usually never go.
Belt 12, that was our column. 30m wide and one whole long stretch to cover. And it's DARK. Yes, dark. Which means we had to carry torches while we walked and looked for organisms. Ah ning and I had a hard time coordinating at first. I was carrying the clipboard, diving glove and my torch. Ah ning was carrying the ID chart, chopsticks and camera. Plus, we had to carry a transect grid cause we needed it for our research, which we eventually clipped onto my bag that we were taking turns to carry. Gosh, we had such a hard time at first, but slowly we got the hang of it and we managed to do things quite efficiently. Good job Ah ning.:)
Yup, so we crossed the sandy shore and seagrass lagoon area in the dark. The 2 of us were freaking out while we were walking in the seagrass lagoon, exclaiming about anything we stepped on that felt weird. Haha. Turned out that most of them were sponges. =.=
As we reached the end of the seagrass lagoon, it started getting brighter so we kept our torches and walked around the coral rubble with much ease. Managed to see quite lot of things there. Yup. In fact, as we headed back towards land at around 730, we saw so many more things! Carpet anemone, heart cockle, gigantic anemone, ascidians, lots of hairy crabs, algae and sponges. Yup. Photos on fb, go check them out!:)
love,
trish:)
Thank You Lord for keeping us ass safe while we were there. Thank You for creating all these wonderful and interesting organisms for us to study!:)
*This stupid post got lost somewhere else. It was supposed to be for yesterday. Rarh
Sunday, April 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment